This is a quick tutorial on how to use the homebrew application called BookR. BookR is an application which allows you to read PDF and TXT files on your PSP. BookR is also capable of reading Chinese, Korean and Japanese text files. If you would like to install those language packs as well, please look at the other languages section in this tutorial. BookR is available for the PSP Fat, Slim, Brite and Go.
- The BookR application, which can be downloaded here.
- A PSP running custom firmware. If your PSP is not running CFW, please use the search function on this site, Google or YouTube as there are millions of tutorials out there.
- Download the application and extract the contents to your desktop.
- Connect your PSP to your computer via a USB cable and place the BookR folder into the GAME folder on your PSP's memory stick.
- Disconnect your PSP from the computer (Make sure to safely remove the PSP by ejecting the USB).
- Open the application.
BookR supports the Chinese, Korean and Japanese fonts. However, they must be installed into BookR. This will take up at least 65MB on your memory stick.
- Download "cjk-fonts-1.zip" from here.
- Extract the file. There should be four UCS2 files and eight .tff files.
- Navigate to the BookR folder you just put on your PSP and place all of the files into the font folder.
- You are now done. In order to view the fonts, you may have to enable them in the settings.
Q: Does this support other files (.doc etc).
A: IIRC, this does not support other files, they need to be converted to .pdf in order to run.
Q: Why is there an error message when I try to start BookR?
A: Make sure you have Custom Firmware installed on your PSP.
Q: I get slow pictures when I open pdf files?
A: If the pictures are taking a while. Go to Settings and change the Fast Image.
Q: How come I can't see any text?
A: Not all text fonts are supported.
- carloscm (ccm304) - Creator of BookR.
- Edward Choh (edwardchoh) - Creator of BookR.
- Mr305 - For improving BookR and making it to 3.XX kernel support.
- nct2k - For working on the BookR to the version 8.1
- PSPerspective, for allowing me to post this tutorial.
Thanks for taking the time to view this tutorial Ladies and Gents. If this tutorial has helped you out in any way, please hit that +REP button and say thanks. More tutorials to come.